John Mills / JML
- John Mills has been campaigning to get Britain out of the EU for 40 years.
- Mills wrote a series of Eurosceptic economic papers that were much admired by the late Tony Benn, the socialist MP who came to loathe the EU.
- Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn worked for Benn in the 1981 election for deputy leader of the Labour party.
- We asked Mills if Corbyn’s current tactics on Brexit might have their roots in his old alliance with Benn.
LONDON — If you have been baffled by Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn’s Brexit tactics recently, you are not alone. Officially, Labour’s policy is to demand the impossible: to leave the EU but retain the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union.
Failing that, Labour wants to force a general election, in the belief that Corbyn can replace Theresa May as prime minister and get a better deal than the one she has put before parliament.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- Keir Starmer says Labour is closer to backing a new Brexit referendum
- Theresa May survives no-confidence vote in her government
- More Labour MPs join campaign to force Corbyn to back new Brexit referendum