Strictly Come Dancing has become a British institution and something fans of the BBC dance show look forward to each and every Autumn. Craig Revel Horwood, 55, is just one of the judges of the panel, critiquing a whole plethora of celebrity talent from all corners of the star-studded world. With the coronavirus crisis bringing the world to a halt in recent months, bosses were working hard to try and come up with a way the programme could still go ahead, whilst adhering to social distancing rules. However, with the rumour mill still in overdrive whether production has been given the green light, the Australian theatre star has now confirmed the news viewers have been waiting for.
Production on some of Britain’s most beloved television shows are just starting to get up and running again after the government gave the green light for filming to resume.
The Saturday night entertainment programme is not set to air until at least September, meaning there is still some time before viewers get to see celebrities don flamboyant clothes and strut their stuff on the dance floor.
With this in mind and appearing on today’s edition of Loose Women, Craig explained the annual extravaganza is still going ahead.
Though the format may be slightly different from what viewers are used to as stars of the show will be adhering to social distancing measures.
Craig told the ITV panel show presenters: “I’m looking forward to the show because it’s going to be a completely different creative look at it.
“I think when you’re pushed into corners, like having two-metre rules and all of that, I think it will make some wonderful TV.
“So, it’s going to be interesting and it’s going to be fantastic and I’m super excited because it’s going ahead, finally,” he added.
The judge also mentioned the 2020 season could see the show’s first same-sex couple after reports emerged this too could be scrapped this year.
It seems bosses have fought back against the programme being axed altogether, which has been at the centre of much debate since the coronavirus crisis hit back in March.
Craig and his fellow judges, Shirley Ballas, 59, and Motsi Mabuse, 39, have all been voicing their hopes the programme would return in some format for the past three months.
At the moment, it is unknown whether Bruno Tonioli, 64, will be joining the panel, due to his commitments to Dancing With The Stars in America.
Until the new season gets underway, there is still a treat for viewers as three special episodes have been commissioned.
Janette Manrara speaks out on ‘unfortunate’ Strictly issue [COMMENT]
Anton Du Beke opens up about family concerns ahead of Strictly 2020 [COMMENT]
Amy Dowden: Strictly pro speaks out on show return ‘really hard’ [COMMENT]
Filmed during the lockdown, hosts Tess Daly, 51, and Claudia Winkleman, 48, will be taking a look back through the archives to relive some of the show’s most memorable moments.
Controller of BBC Entertainment, Kate Phillips said: “Strictly Come Dancing has produced so many magical and memorable moments in the movie, musical and Blackpool weeks.
“The three special episodes will look back and celebrate these, bringing some much needed Strictly sparkle to the nation.”
There is no official word on when the episodes will air, but the rumour mill is still rife as to who could be joining this year’s all-star cast.
One such television veteran punters seem to have their eyes on signing up is This Morning star Eamonn Holmes, 60, whose wife Ruth Langsford, 60, took part in 2017.
Coral bookmakers have the presenter at 2-1 to be unveiled as a member of this year’s cast list, with his chances having previously been at 3-1.
Although, his odds of winning are quite scarce, as he stands at 33-1 to walk away with the Glitterball Trophy.
“Eamonn’s wife Ruth took part in Strictly in 2017 and we think he could follow in her footsteps later this year,” Coral spokesperson John Hill said.