Mark Wilson/Getty Images
Loading the page...
- Foreign-policy experts say the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is “embarrassing” and a “crisis” for President Donald Trump.
- Experts seem to disagree, however, on how big of a challenge this poses to Trump’s overall agenda.
- They say the situation creates tension between Trump and the GOP foreign-policy establishment in Congress.
- Experts believe Trump won’t do much about Khashoggi, and will let Congress take the lead.
- Khashoggi went missing after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier this month, and is feared dead.
The disappearance of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi has placed President Donald Trump in a precarious and “embarrassing” position, and it will complicate his agenda in Congress, foreign-policy experts say.
There is a great deal of concern over the message Trump is sending about America’s commitment to human rights via his response to the situation, but experts disagree over how this will impact the US-Saudi relationship and Trump’s foreign agenda in the long run.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
NOW WATCH: 3 surprising ways humans are still evolving
- Trump frets over arms sales as worldwide outrage grows over disappearance of Saudi critic
- A prominent Saudi critic’s disappearance sends a stark reminder of the Kingdom’s brutal crackdown on dissent
- ‘They’ve got some explaining to do’: The case of a missing Washington Post columnist raises more questions after reports suggests he was murdered by Saudi agents