Getty Images/Business Insider
- The US has pledged “appropriate actions” against the people it is now connecting to the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters that the US has “identified at least some of the individuals responsible, including those in the intelligence services, the Royal Court, the foreign ministry, and other Saudi ministries.”
- Pompeo said the US is already revoking visas and mulling sanctions.
- Trump on Tuesday described Khashoggi’s killing at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul as one of the worst cover-ups in history. The president said he will leave the decision to punish the Kingdom with Congress.
The US pledged that it is taking “appropriate actions” against those responsible for journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s death.
Khashoggi, a green-card holder and resident of Virginia, was killed during a visit to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, earlier this month. Riyadh has admitted that Khashoggi was murdered, but claimed it was the result of an altercation gone wrong as part of a “rogue operation” unknown to the Saudi leadership. See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- Saudi Arabia’s sloppy Khashoggi response may force Trump’s hand towards punishment
- Mike Pompeo reportedly warned Mohammed bin Salman ‘global pressure’ will force Trump to deal with Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance if the Saudis don’t step up
- Pompeo says Saudi royals didn’t want to discuss facts of the Khashoggi case and he doesn’t either