Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- President Donald Trump followed up on a week of bashing NATO allies on Twitter with an in-person tirade against Germany.
- He said Russia basically controls Germany because of German energy dependence on Moscow.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has backed a massive pipeline that would allow increased consumption of Russian energy.
- Russia’s main source of revenue is energy exports, and Europe is its main client.
- By funding Russia, Europe allows the exact kind of aggression from the Kremlin NATO was designed to stop.
- Germany’s military has serious readiness problems and Merkel has not prioritized fixing them.
President Donald Trump followed up on a week of bashing NATO allies on Twitter with an in-person tirade against Germany’s planned energy cooperation with Russia.
In a heated meeting in Brussels with the leaders of NATO, Trump claimed that Moscow now basically controls Berlin because of their dependence on it for energy.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- Russia appears to be building up its military bases near a weak point in the NATO alliance
- Trump kicks off European tour by bashing NATO, EU on trade before Putin summit
- Trump keeps suggesting an invasion of Venezuela, and the government there keeps taking advantage of it