Everyone loves a good cuddle, but many people aren’t aware of the numerous benefits associated with a simple hug.
While they are primarily seen as a way of feeling closer to a loved one whether they’re a friend, family member or partner, cuddling has a range of surprising positive effects that span both physical and mental health.
Mattress Online’s research has found that:
- The UK’s favourite cuddling position is ‘The Seated Snuggle’ showing that Brits love getting cosy on the sofa.
- While men agree with the overall winner, women prefer ‘The Chest Rest’ – an intimate bed-based hug.
- Less intimate hugs like ‘The Pretzel’ and ‘Back-to-Back’ ranked lower showing that UK couples prefer closer contact both on the sofa and in bed.
- Couples who cuddle more report having a better sex life.
- Your immune system, memory and even your blood pressure can be positively affected by a hug from a loved one.
The UK’s favourite hug revealed
We scoured the web for the most common cuddling positions for couples and compiled a top 10 list for our survey respondents to choose from. Here is what they picked as their ultimate hug: