Harry How/Getty Images
- Francesco Molinari made history on Sunday, becoming Italy’s first major champion by winning the British Open.
- Molinari’s win came without an endorsement deal for his clubs aside from his putter, making him the third consecutive major champion to win without a sponsor dictating his club selection.
- Passing up sponsorship deals gives players more flexibility when it comes to filling out their bags, and it’s possible that more players will follow suit.
Francesco Molinari made history on Sunday, becoming Italy’s first major champion after fending off Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and a slew of other heavy hitters to win the British Open and take home the Claret Jug.
Molinari’s game was exceptional, playing bogey-free for the final two rounds en route to a win over the field by two strokes. The win was even more impressive considering he did it while playing alongside Woods, one of the most intimidating golfers to be paired with when in contention.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
NOW WATCH: What it takes to be a World Cup referee
- ‘The fairways are faster than the greens’ — Conditions at the Open Championship could make for one of the wildest majors in recent memory
- 13 sleeper picks to win at the Open Championship this weekend
- The Open Championship 2018: 12 golfers with the best odds to win the Claret Jug this weekend