- The College Football Playoff committee released its final ranking before the playoff teams will be announced on Sunday.
- The big winner was Oklahoma, who is ranked fifth, ahead of Ohio State and in position to move into the top four if Georgia loses to Alabama, as expected.
- In all, eight teams are still alive for a spot in the playoff, including Michigan and UCF.
The penultimate College Football Playoff ranking is out and the Oklahoma Sooners are the big winners.
With one week to go before the committee chooses the four teams for the playoff, Oklahoma moved up to the all-important fifth spot over Ohio State. The Sooners are still not guaranteed a spot in the playoff with a win in the Big 12 championship game, but if it were to come down to OU and Ohio State, the Sooners would have the edge.
In all, eight teams still have a path to the playoff. Below, we ranked the remaining contenders based on who has the best chances to make the playoff.
Julio Aguilar/Getty Images
Last week’s result: Beat USF, 38-10
Playoff ranking: 8
Key games remaining: Unranked Memphis in The Atlantic championship game.
One thing to know: It is clear the committee does not take UCF’s undefeated record seriously. Michigan is still ahead of the Knights and is done with its schedule. UCF adding a win over Memphis is unlikely to impress the committee enough to jump the Wolverines. That means UCF needs at least three teams ahead of them to lose. And then there is the season-ending injury to quarterback McKenzie Milton. It is just another excuse for the committee to leave UCF out if they want one.
Last week’s result: Lost to Ohio State, 62-39
Playoff ranking: 7
Key games remaining: none
One thing to know: Michigan is the big surprise this week as they still have a path to the playoff despite an ugly loss to Ohio State. The Wolverines’ best hope is for Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State to lose their conference title games. There would then be a chaos debate over the fourth spot with 1-loss Clemson, 2-loss Ohio State, 2-loss Michigan, and undefeated UCF all with a strong argument to join Alabama, Notre Dame, and Georgia. But would the committee take Michigan over Ohio State despite the head-to-head result? Michigan would have “stronger” losses.
6. Ohio State
Last week’s result: Beat Michigan, 62-39
Playoff ranking: 6
Key games remaining: No. 21 Northwestern in the Big Ten title game.
One thing to know: Ohio State needs a lot of help. An Oklahoma loss in the Big 12 title game would be the biggest boost. But that might not be enough if Clemson and Georgia win or if the Bulldogs play a close game with Alabama.
- We ranked the 9 teams still alive for the College Football Playoff based on which have the best shot to make it
- Here are all the film and TV projects LeBron James is already working on in Hollywood
- NBA POWER RANKINGS: Where all 30 teams stand after a wild first month