Oliver Contreras-Pool/Getty Images
» Top New Releases in Books
Loading the page...
- Author Anand Giridharadas believes elite-led philanthropy fueled the rise of Donald Trump.
- In his new book, Giridharadas argues that Trump exposed the hypocrisy of wealthy philanthropists, then used it to beat them at their own game.
- Giridharadas predicts that Trump may face a powerful reckoning as citizens begin to take charge of their own political futures.
On June 28, 2016, Donald Trump assumed the podium at a recycling plant in Monessen, Pennsylvania. In the audience were around 200 residents who had witnessed the city’s decline from a booming manufacturing center to a desolate expanse of urban blight. The building where they gathered — a former steel mill that once held thousands of workers — had been downsized to a small facility of just 35 employees.
Seconds into his speech, Trump highlighted the grievances of the city’s workers: “Globalization has made the financial elite who donate to politicians very wealthy,” he said. “But it has left millions of our workers with nothing but poverty and heartache. When subsidized foreign steel is dumped into our markets, threatening our factories, the politicians do nothing.”See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders has received donations from more Amazon workers than Barack Obama over the past 14 years
- Watch Jeff Bezos tell the funny story about the moment in college he realized he ‘was never going to be a great theoretical physicist’
- A Swiss village is crowdsourcing for a basic-income experiment to give residents up to $ 2,570 a month