When you get a present of mini keg, either in 64oz or 1 gallon, you would eager to know how to fill it? Here are several solutions you can fill draft beer to your own mini kegs.
- Fill a mini keg from tap:
This is most common way to fill a mini keg in taproom. Normally, taproom would have growler filler with long tube, which can insert into beer faucet, and the filler tube would able to reach bottom of mini keg, and fill from bottom to reduce foam.
With long beer hose, the bartender can observe if keg is full and switch off faucet in time to avoid beer wasting. This filling solution is working well for beer growler too.
2. Fill a mini keg from home-brew keg:
If you are home brewer, you have brewed draft beer in Cornelius keg, you want to store draft beer by several mini kegs, then you need to follow below steps:
- Seal mini keg with carbonation cap;
- Click on gas-in ball lock disconnect, and fill CO2 from gas line for few seconds, now loose the cap slightly. The intention of this step is to remove air and keep mini keg under CO2 condition. Since CO2 is heavy than air, the extra gas (most air) would escape from top via the cap space. Repeat this for several times until most of gas inside keg are CO2 instead of air, free- oxygen.
- Remove the gas-in ball lock disconnect and change to beverage ball lock disconnect, mostly you need another grey gas-in ball lock disconnect to take role of beverage-in. Since the ball lock of carbonation cap can match grey gas only, it would be too tight if you are using black one.
- Now, you can start filling draft beer to mini keg under pressure with very less foam. During this process, filling beer would be very slow when the pressure of keg inside is higher than beer line. So you need to slightly loose the cap, let the extra gas (mostly CO2) get out of mini keg and get some space for draft beer. Observe if there is extra foam get out, it’s signal of beer full.
- Now you can tight carbonation cap or change back to normal keg lid. If you decide to use carbonation cap to seal this keg beer, you can switch to gas-in ball lock disconnect, and get a little bit of CO2 to be charged to keg beer, this would be a wonderful way to keep your draft beer carbonated and store for weeks.