For those that missed the Nintendo E3 conference, Fortnite Battle Royale is now playable on the Switch.
It’s great news for both fans and Epic Games on a number of fronts.
Finding people to fill the 100 needed for each match would be a tall order for a game that wasn’t as popular as Fortnite.
However, if things do start to wane, Epic Games have made it possible for most players on each platform to join each others servers.
This should keep the numbers good for the foreseeable future, although there are some drawbacks.
Fortnite Switch players can team up with other gamers on Xbox One, PC and Mobile, but they can’t join those on PS4.
This is the same for Xbox One, while PS4 players are also barred from joining up with players not on PC and Mobile.
The good news for Switch fans, as long as you’ve linked your Switch account to your Epic Games account, you can crossplay with PC, Mac, Xbox and Mobile players.
This also means that all purchased content will be present and all progress will be recorded across Xbox, Switch, PC, Mac, and Mobile.
The one massive drawback though is that players who have a PSN linked account can’t switch over to the new Nintendo platform.
This means they can’t keep their progress on one account and don’t have access to the cosmetic bought on PS4.
This extends to anyone who has ever logged in with the same account on a PlayStation 4 console.
And there isn’t anything you can do about it now, with Epic accounts now locked with those specifications until further notice.
If you do try this, an error message from Epic Games pops up, explaining: “This Fortnite account is associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch.
“Neither the Fortnite website nor Epic Customer Service are able to change this. To play Fortnite on Switch, please create a new account.”
These problems could be solved in the future, although that seems very likely at the moment due to Sony’s current policy on crossplay.
Epic Games have provided a guide on how to operate your crossplay options on the Nintendo Switch, and can be found below:
I’m on Switch – how do I squad-up with a friend on PC, Mac, Xbox or iOS?
- Link your Switch account to an Epic Games account.
- Download the Epic Games Launcher on PC or Mac, or if you have an invite, download the game on iOS/Xbox.
- Add your friend from within the Epic Games Launcher, the game on PC or Mac, or the game on iOS/Xbox.
- Select Duos or Squad mode.
- Tell your friend to join your party.
I’m on Mobile, Xbox, PC or Mac – how do I party up with a friend on Switch?
- You will have to become friends on PC, Mac, Xbox or Mobile first.
- The Switch player then needs to be in a non-solo queue and have the game privacy setting set to either “public” or “friends”.
- This will allow you to join your Switch friend’s lobby to squad up.