Naga, 42, couldn’t hide her amusement as she reported the nearly fatal incident.
“You’ve heard of fishermen’s tall tales, well how about this one,” Charlie began. “An angler from Bournemouth had to be resuscitated after accidentally swallowing a fish he’d just caught.”
“This is what happened,” Naga continued, as an image of a fish flashed up on the screen. “This is a picture of a Dover sole and that’s what this angler had caught.
“He was in Dover… No, he wasn’t in Dover, sorry, that’s the sole,” she giggled, appearing distracted by the unusual nature of the story. “I apologise. He was in Bournemouth.
“And so when he caught this Dover sole in Bournemouth he was celebrating the catch – it’s only six inches long,” she explained. “But the fish was still alive.”
However, the BBC Breakfast presenter kept laughing as she relayed: “So he was holding it and kissing it, and then it jumped… He kissed it and it jumped down his throat!
“It’s quite serious because he started to choke,” she said, trying to collect herself as Charlie came to the rescue, chipping in: “Do you want me to carry on? Are you struggling?”
“No,” she insisted. “It’s just a bizarre story.”
“It is bizarre,” he agreed, before assuring BBC viewers that the man who had swallowed the fish was safe after being resuscitated by medics.
“He was in a very bad way for a few minutes,” Charlie said, trying to convey the severity of the story amid Naga’s giggly reaction.
“If you want to know what it’s like to pluck a live fish out of someone’s throat when they’re in the most desperate of situations, and he really was, we will be speaking to the paramedic who carried out that treatment a little later,” he added.
“It’s a very serious story,” Naga added, checking herself as she tried to keep a straight face. “He suffered cardiac arrest and he had to be resuscitated.”
BBC Breakfast airs weekdays at 6am on BBC One.